ACIS 2023 Doctoral Consortium Application
Call for Nominations
We invite nominations for the 34th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS) 2023 Doctoral Consortium. The Consortium will be held in Wellington, New Zealand on Sunday 3rd December to Monday 4th December. It is intended to be an in-person event. Successful nominees are expected to attend all Consortium activities, from Sunday morning to Monday.
For more information visit this page.
Nomination deadline: 16th October 2023
Notification of acceptance: 30th October 2023
Doctoral consortium dates: 3rd – 4th December 2023
Since participation will be limited to 25 PhD students, the selection process is competitive. Participants will be selected based on the following criteria:
- the quality of proposed research
- significance of the research and the potential contribution
- the potential contribution the student can make to the Doctoral Consortium
- the potential benefit of the Doctoral Consortium to the student’s research and professional development.
Documents for Submission
Nominees are required to the prepare the following three documents and submit them as a single pdf file.
(1) Nominee Information Sheet: Students complete the information sheet and submit it along with the other two documents below.
(2) PhD Thesis Proposal: The proposal should have a maximum of 10 A4 pages (10pt Georgia, single space, including references and appendices but excluding the cover page).
- The Cover Page should include the title of the proposal and information about the student including name, university and abstract (between 40 to 150 words).
- The main body of the proposal should include the thesis title, a brief description of the context of the research, problematization / rationale for the research, the research question(s) to be addressed, summary of key literature, the underlying theories, research model, proposed hypotheses (if applicable), research method and expected study contributions to research and practice.
- Nomination Letter from the nominating faculty. Normally, the nominating faculty should be the Dean, Head of Department/School or PhD Programme Coordinator. Alternatively, if these persons are not available, the nominee’s Dissertation Advisor may nominate the student. Important: Students must be nominated by their department/university. Self-nominations will not be accepted. A nomination implies that should the student be accepted they will have the support needed to attend the Doctoral Consortium in person and participate in all activities.
Registration and Cost
There is no registration fee to attend the Consortium. However, nominating institutions are expected to provide financial assistance to successful nominees in the form of travel and accommodation expenses.
Please note: All accepted students to the Consortium are encouraged to register for and attend the ACIS 2023 conference, which immediately follows the Consortium. All students will receive a reduced registration rate for the conference. This will cover attendance at all conference sessions and exhibits, and conference lunches/refreshment breaks.
IMPORTANT: Participants should not bring guests (e.g., other students or supervisors) to the Consortium. It is designed as an intensive personal development experience that provides a forum for networking and developing camaraderie with your peers.
Participation in the Doctoral Consortium is by invitation only. Each university may nominate two PhD students working on IS-related research projects. Students who have successfully defended their PhD proposals or are halfway through their PhD study are eligible to participate in the Consortium. Students who will complete their PhD dissertations by December 2023, or are close to completion are not eligible.
Participation in the Doctoral Consortium offers more benefit to students who have established their initial research model and research design than to those who are very early in their PhD study or very close to thesis submission.
An ideal candidate would have completed at least one year of their PhD study and have at least six months before PhD completion.
If you have any questions regarding the submission process, please email one of the Consortium co-chairs noted below. Please include “ACIS2023 Doctoral Consortium” in the subject line.